Thursday, January 14, 2010

Internet crisis...

Internet access was down for 2 days. And it was seriously looking like I might have been 2 months sans internet...In many ways that would be fine and many times in life I've wished that emails would cease but.... I'm in the middle of selling a house and finishing a couple of projects such as writing/researching a book plus I quite like being able to speak with someone who speaks more than a few words of English.

It helps you realise though just how much the internet has become a part of our daily lives – for me at least and for the developed nations. Most Africans it seems have never so much as seen a webpage which is a sobering thought when you consider how most of us take it for granted. As for me, well it's one thing to go 3 weeks hiking the Larapinta Trail without email and skype but quite another thing to go 3 months without it in a remote camp.

The router it seems simply decided that it had done it's bit for modern society and shuffled off this mortal coil. When it’s your time to go, it’s your time to go and Saturday was the routers last day on this earth. I found another one in an old chest but couldn't tell if it worked (there is lots of ‘stuff’ here, some of which works, some of which is for parts only). Normally it’s easy enough to test such things but with the wireless router I couldn't test it till I got the configuration setup. A simple thing to do if I was in the ‘burbs – one phonecall and job done. Here it took me 3 HF radio calls and 4 satphone calls before I finally had the 3 numbers that I needed. So it goes… Clearly as you can see, I’m back on line now.

No comments:

Post a Comment